|Comprehensive Academic System
In its continuous journey towards excellence, Academy of Technology has instituted several Best Practices in every sphere from Governance to Academics, from Students’ Life Cycle Management to Faculty Recruitment & Development. The Comprehensive Curricula @ AOT is one such Best Practice. It has been implemented to enhance the Employability Quotient of every one of our students as well as help them achieve a high percentile in GATE through an integrated and blended curriculum that meets present industry trends.
The objective of this Best Practice is to help students progressively attain a desired benchmark in their professional competencies by achieving the right balance between technical skills and soft skills (in alignment with the Graduate Attributes articulated by Accreditation bodies like NBA, NAAC & ABET as well as industry requirements).
To achieve this objective the University syllabus has been rounded out and enriched keeping in mind desired learning outcomes and specific industry requirements. “In today's knowledge-based economy, what you earn depends on what you learn.” To equip students for their future careers, additional content & resources for crucial skill-enhancement have been integrated as needed. Along with this, using the knowledge and experiences of several distinguished well-wishers of AOT, the very approach to teaching & learning is being continuously enriched so that every student can develop the skills required for the world beyond.
To achieve the goal of imparting quality education and also to instil confidence in the minds of students, the whole edifice of the academic system is based on the tripod of (i) Attendance, (ii) Teaching- Learning & Mentoring Process and (iii) Academic Integrity.
Regular class attendance is fundamental to the orderly acquisition of knowledge. In AOT, utmost importance is given to regular class attendance which is a responsibility and a prerequisite of engineering education. Students should recognize the advantages of regular class attendance, accept it as a personal responsibility and apprise themselves of the consequences of poor attendance.
|Teaching- Learning & Counselling Process
AOT regulates the teaching-learning & counselling process using the following comprehensive methods:
Orientation Programme for Educators
- Arrangement of workshop at the beginning of every semester to review previous semester’s teaching-learning process, adopt steps to remove the flaws, introduce new ideas and chalk out teaching plan for the next semester.
- Based on the feedback received from various cross sections of students, counselling to desired faculty members for improvement.
- Completion of prescribed syllabus in a structured manner with provision for extra hours in class routine to teach the comprehensive curriculum in a relaxed fashion.
- Distribution of detailed syllabus and lecture plans with course objectives and e-learning resources to the students at the beginning of every semester.
Performance Monitoring & Improvement Measures
- Regular attendance monitoring after every 12 teaching days through indigenously developed software
- Monitoring students’ progress and difficulties in learning and performing.
- Review/ adjustment in instruction delivery methods if required.
- Motivating students for self learning with specific interactive sessions.
Counselling & Mentoring Weaker and Wayward Students
- Regular mentoring and counselling on one-to-one basis for attendance and academic improvement and to bring back wayward students to main stream.
Remedial lectures/tutorials beyond class hours.
Interaction with parents if required.
Course Delivery in Comprehensive Manner with Proper Teaching Plan
- Proper reallocation of classes on daily basis (if required) to ensure that no class is let off.
- Delivery of class room instruction with emphasis on power point presentation and proper animation to make the lecture illustrative and understandable.
- Advice regarding use of printed and e-resources for some such information which either is not available in text books or needs to be updated.
- Question Banks pertaining to WBUT syllabus, competitive exams like GATE & Campussing & additional print & e-resources as needed. Question Banks are provided to students to provide them opportunity to assess their own understanding of subjects.
- Video lecture, lecture from industry experts to enhance the exposure and application knowledge.
- Tutorials and Home assignments to enhance conceptual knowledge based on Industry application of the relevant subject. In lab work, the students are allowed to explore, investigate and critically examine the instruments, experiments and design methodology. Some space is available here for independent thinking.
- Optimum use of lab & effective execution of final year projects with focus on areas beyond curriculum & real-life industry practices. In GDs and Seminars, students are advised to choose topics not covered in the texts and in the prescribed syllabi; once again they are allowed to choose freely the subjects of topical interest for their final level projects and thesis work.
- Continuous Assessment and Appraisal
- Regular class assignment, quiz on subject topics to review the students’ attainment of instructional outcomes.
- Two well planned (pre-scheduled) class tests to gauge their level of progress and help the faculty members adopt monitoring and corrective measures.
- University examination system with high integrity.
- Every individual student, faculty and staff of AOT believes that unfair examination system, whether it is home assignment, internal examination or university examination, is the ultimate violation of academic integrity. It is an already established fact that our examination system which is conducted with utmost integrity makes our students hardworking and motivated, and thus enables them to get right placement and/or opportunity of higher studies through competitive examinations.